- Name : Abdul Latif bin Rashid Al Zayani
- Designation: Secretary General of the Gulf Cooperation Council for the Arab States of the Gulf
- Place of Birth: Muharraq, Kingdom of Bahrain
- Date of Appointment: 1st April 2011
EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Received his Commission as an officer within the Bahrain Defence Force in 1973, following graduation from the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst in UK.
- Graduate of the Aeronautical Engineering program, Perth Scotland in 1978.
- Master's Degree in Logistics Management from the Air Force Institute of Technology, Dayton, Ohio in 1980.
- PhD in Operations Research from the Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, California in 1986.
- Command and General Staff course, Fort Leavenworth Kansas in 1988 and received the sword of honor along with the title of Master Logistician from the US Army.
- Leaders in Development Program, Harvard University, U.S.A. , 2008.
EXPERIENCE IN BAHRAIN DEFENCE FORCE
- Served in the 1st Royal Mechanized Battalion, the Royal Air Defence, and the Royal Bahraini Air Force.
- Director of Planning and Organizations.
- Director of Joint Operations.
- Assistant Chief of Staff for Operations in charge of joint operations, plans, training, force development, and command and control.
- 2nd June 2004-Transferred from the Bahrain Defence Force to the Ministry of the Interior to take up the appointment of the Chief of Public Security.
EXPERIENCE IN MINISTRY OF THE INTEIOR
- Appointed as The Chief of Public Security in 2004
- Responsible for commanding and for modernizing the Police Force, Special Forces, the Coastguard and the Civil Defence and Fire Service.
- Responsible for all aspects of security and safety within the Kingdom, including:
- Operational Policing.
- Counter terrorism and civil disorder.
- Coordination of All aspects of Crisis, Consequence and Disaster Management.
- Promoted to the rank of Lieutenant General in 2010.
EXPERIENCE IN MINISTRY OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS
- Appointed Adviser of Ministry of Foreign Affairs in the rank of Minister on 10th June 2010.
- Chairman of Joint Steering Committee between kingdom of Bahrain and the United Kingdom.
- Chairman of Development and Regulation committee of Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
EXPERIENCE IN TEACHING
- Professor in "Mathematics and Statistics" at the University of Maryland, Bahrain.
- Professor in " Quantitative Methods" at the University of Bahrain
- Taught statistics, quantitative methods and total quality management at the Arabian Gulf University and supervised many students there as partial fulfillment for Master's of Science in Technology Management.
Awards and Decorations
- Efficiency Medal 2nd Class
- Military Assessment Medal 1st Class
- Bahrain Medal 3rd Grade
- Shaikh Isa Medal 3rd Grade
- Bahrain Medal 2nd Grade
- Military Duty Medal
- Hawar Medal 1st Grade
- Liberation of Kuwait Medal 2nd Grade
- Liberation of Kuwait Medal
- Security Medal for Devotion to Duty 1st Class
- Bahrain Medal 1st Grade
- Sword of Honor along with the title of Master Logistician from the US Army.
- International Police Leadership Award NPIA 2010 (United Kingdom)
In addition to his professional interests, other interests include traveling and sports.